Tuesday, April 20, 2010

IE for Linux

A week ago, I need to open a site to pay airplane ticket. The site said that it will open perfectly if I opened it using Internet Explorer (IE) 6 or above. I use Ubuntu 9.10 so I don't have IE.

But I don't trust the warning :D. I tried to open it using FireFox and Google Chrome. But it was no luck. The warning was right :D. Some script was not run perfectly. It is not good for me if I have to find any computer which run MS Windows only for visiting the site.

I have heard that Wine can used to emulate Windows software. Well, this idea is better than if I must to create Virtual Machine on my laptop.

Then I found this site. It said that


What is IEs4Linux?

IEs4Linux is the simpler way to have Microsoft Internet Explorer running on Linux (or any OS running Wine).
No clicks needed. No boring setup processes. No Wine complications. Just one easy script and you'll get three IE versions to test your Sites. And it'sfree and open source.


Who is the target public?

  • WebDesigners that want to move to Linux but still need to test their sites on IE.
  • People who have to open IE-only sites
The IEs installations are smaller than usual because they include only the necessary files to have a good test browser (there is no Outlook, Media Player etc).
Sound good. Then I tried to install it.
Because of lack of bandwidth, the download progress is very slow. I spent almost 12 hour to get my download complete. But OK, I'll wait for that.
Thanks God, the installation was running smoothly and well.

Now I have IE 6 running on my Linux. It save my life at this moment :p
But I found that this IE utilize much processor load. So, sometimes, when I need to run other software, my laptop performance become slow. Fortunately, I use IE very rare. So it won't be a trouble form me.
Post a Comment